Thursday, August 12, 2010

No stamping or stitching.......just holidays.

Thanks to Sandie's help I’m glad to see that my scheduled post worked this morning. I’m just back from a lovely, relaxing holiday on the north coast of Ireland. The scenery there is really breathtaking, so needless to say I ended up taking lots and lots of photos, none of which capture the full beauty of the area.

I didn’t bring any card making supplies with me (and survived!) so I’m looking forward to making cards again and catching up on lots of blogs and websites. There aren't any cards in this post but I thought I’d show some photos from our holidays.

A view of the coastline near Portrush with the Inishowen Peninsula in the distance.


On the way to Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge with Rathlin Island and Scotland in the background.


Traditionally fishermen erected the bridge to Carrick Island over a 30 metre deep and 20 metre wide chasm to check their salmon nets. Crossing the bridge, the drop felt a lot more than that, especially with the wind whipping across the bridge! Originally the rope bridge consisted of a single rope hand rail and widely spaced slats but the National Trust replaced that with a two hand railed bridge made of ropes and planks of wood. I don't think I would have even considered going across the original bridge!


I'm terrified of heights but I'm delighted that I forced myself to go across the bridge and got the see the gorgeous views from Carrick Island.






The Giant's Causeway is made up of 38,000 geometric columns of basalt rock which formed from crystallised lava that erupted 60 million years ago.


According to legend the stones at the Causeway are really the remnants of a pathway which the giant Finn McCool built across the sea from County Antrim to his enemy Benandonner's lair - Fingal's cave on the island of Staffa, Scotland.






An arch and sea stacks on the Antrim coast



View looking towards Dunluce Castle, a late Medieval 17th century castle. The castle is harder to spot in the first photo but in the second one, taken about 20 seconds later, clouds came overhead and the sun was shining directly on the castle.



Part of the castle, including the kitchen, fell into the sea on a stormy night in 1639. It's said that seven unfortunate kitchen staff perished that night but one lucky person survived by being in the right corner of the kitchen.


View of the Inishowen Pensinsula from Portstewart.


Hope you've enjoyed the "visit"!

15 comments:

Sue McRae said...

Beautiful pics Heather, so glad you shared them!

Virginia L. said...

WOW! Amazing AMAZING photos, Heather! They are so breath-taking!! Love them so much and I may come back for another look when I need some peace and quiet moments! Thanks for sharing them! Hope you are having a fabulous time without stamping and stitching ;)

Lin said...

THANK YOU, Heather, that was wonderful!! Can I come with you on your next vacation? :) What a beautiful country you live in!

Julie M said...

Welcome home, Heather. I love your photos - that's my favourite part of the country - I spent all my childhood holidays in Portrush. Haven't been back in years and keep meaning to go. You had great weather too.

Julie x

Jenny said...

Welcome back!! :) :) :) love all the pictures, so pretty!!

CinnamonSally said...

Welcome back Heather, love your fabulous photos, Unfortunately I have never been to Ireland but would love to visit one day. The sceanery looks breathtaking.

Rosemary said...

oh wow, heather!! those pictures are just gorgeous! love reading your descriptions of all the pictures... makes me want to visit ireland even more now!! welcome back!

Barb said...

Oh, my! It sure was a treat seeing these photos, Heather! Just amazing! So glad you shared them and I'm also glad you're back! Welcome home. . .been missing you!

Dawn T said...

Fabulous Heather... felt like I was there. Stunning scenery. I wish I could get to Ireland on my trip North ... but not this time. Maybe next time I'll arrange to meet up and stay with all the ladies I've "met" through this medium!!!!

Liz's creative corner said...

Wow Heather stunning pictures hun, and fairly good weather to by the looks of it,the scenery is gorgeous, have a lovely weekend, hugs LIz xx

Unknown said...

Wow! What stunning photos! Looks like you had a wonderful time on your trip! Welcome home, hope you enjoy your crafting catch-up!
Alicia xx

Hannah said...

gorgeous vista heather - and a little history lesson! hehe. looks like you enjoyed your trip. :)

Suzanne C said...

These are gorgeous! So glad you shared them and the stories that go with them. Beautiful!

Trinh said...

Wow, I want to go visit Ireland right now! Thanks for sharing these beautiful pics!

Becca said...

I've always wanted to visit Ireland and now after seeing your gorgeous photos it's made me want to go even more. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails