Sunday, March 6, 2011

Crazy in two ways for paper piecing!

Below is a birthday card I made for a quilting friend. I was going to put the birthday sentiment on the outside but with so much going on there as it was, I decided to put it inside instead. I’m submitting the card into the Play Date Cafe Challenge Colour Splash Week and the Moxie Fab World Paper Piecing Challenge. This month’s challenge at Hero Arts includes the theme of birthdays.


To start with I stamped the Envelope Pattern in white on red card. Then I stamped this and two pieces of white card with the sewing machine and paper pieced it – yikes those pieces were tiny but I love paper piecing anyway! On a piece of white patterned fabric I stamped the sentiment and hand stitched it with red thread. Then I just threaded up the pieced machine, added a gem and some machine stitching on the black background.

Crazy for Piecing - and you can take that title both ways!

Stamps (Hero Arts) - Sew Artsy, Classic Fabric Design, Large Canvas Stripes, Flourish Background, Magical Background & Envelope Pattern.

For the patterned background I white embossed pieces of black card with the Magical and Flourish Backgrounds and stamped the Classic Fabric Design and Large Canvas Stripe in black on white card. These were then cut into strips. I cut a square of white card into four triangles applied the strips, trimmed and put the square back together again. I think I can safely say this card takes the record for the most time I’ve ever spent making a card but I had great fun making it!

Crazy for Piecing! Close up

Hope you’re all having a wonderful weekend!

20 comments:

Barb said...

All that time and effort were so worth it, Heather ! This card is brilliant! Love everything about it!

Rosemary said...

what a fantastic card for your friend, heather! she will be so thrilled to receive it!

Virginia L. said...

This is SEW cool! You put your sewing talent and loverly design in this! Beautiful!

Aparna said...

O.M.G. This is amazing. AMAZING! What detail work, creativity, and patience--I am in awe!!

CinnamonSally said...

This is fabulous Heather and well worth all the time you spent on it, your friend will love this!!

susanne said...

This is beautiful Heather! I love how you threaded up the sewing machine ... I just love this, it's so sweet!

Judy1223 said...

I am in total awe of this card, Heather! You actually sewed the sentiment, girl! I can't imagine how much time and effort that took...but it was well worth it, this card is AMAZING!

Suzanne C said...

Love the stitching! Wonderful design!

Anita Rex said...

Heather this is the perfect card for your quilting friend!!!! I love the your stitching on it! So amazing!

walchowDesign said...

Wow! Such a detailed work, Heather! The quilting is wonderfully made and love how you put the thread thru the needle!

Dawn T said...

You are one talented lady Heather.... this is a stunning card and just perfect for your friend,

Deirdre said...

Wow, amazing. The detail is just FAB.

Patricia said...

Great card I love it =P

Trinh said...

This is amazing, Heather! I think I say that about all your cards but it's true. What a lucky friend to get this beauty!

Anette said...

Amazing, Heather!!! I can't believe all the things you can get your sewing machine to do for you!!!

Maureen Morton said...

Heather - this is so darn cute! How do you do it? I am scared to sew on paper - I have broken 2 machines. Need to try again. Your ideas are mind-blowing! You are most amazing. I missed this on the flickr group, so I am glad I came by here. Hugs!

Michele Gross said...

Wow! How fabulous is that sewing machine! I love that you stitched the sentiment too! Thanks for splashing with us at The Play Date Cafe!

Fiona said...

fantastic card Maria - especially for a quilting buddy! I'm sure she loved it! Thanks for playing along at the Play Date Cafe :)

Jinny Newlin said...

Genius, Heather! LOVE your stitched sentiment and the way you've pieced paper squares in a frame around your center panel! Thanks so much for playing along with us, this week, in The Cafe!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Heather! Thanks for entering the Paper Piecing Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the stampy fun! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails