Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Happy St Patrick's Day! It's funny even though I'm Irish, I never made a St Patrick's Day card until I joined the Hero Arts Group over on Flickr.

As I don't have stamps of rainbows, crocks of gold, leprechauns etc., I inevitably end up making a card with a shamrock formed from hearts. This year I used one of my older Hero Arts stamps (Ancient Motif) as the pattern reminds me of carvings and floor tiles in some of the old monasteries and churches here in Ireland.

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Stamps (Hero Arts) - Ancient Motif & Celebrate Everyday

The embossing folder I used for the background is an Xcut one by Docrafts called Swirls. Once the panel was embossed, I stamped the sentiment in mowed lawn distress ink.

Next it was on to making the shamrock. I stamped the Ancient Motif image using mowed lawn distress ink, die cut the hearts and also cut out a stem for the shamrock. Then I lightly applied some more of the same ink to my pieces.



After curling up the hearts at the edges, I stuck them to the card with foam pads. A little green heart gem was added to finish. I'm submitting this card into Simon Says Stamp's Lucky Challenge and the Die Cut Divas' Let's Emboss It Challenge.

After a very wet and windy winter, it finally feels like spring has sprung. We've mainly had lovely weather this week with temperatures even reaching the dizzying heights of 15C (59F);) It's great to see buds beginning to form on the trees and, of course, I just love the burst of sunshine that the daffodils have brought to the garden.



I can't wait for the last of the nighttime frosts to be finished with so we can plant some annuals out in the garden.

Toby recently had a hair cut and all his curls have disappeared - he looks like a little puppy again!


Anyway with it being St Patrick's Day and a bank holiday here, we're all off work/school and looking forward to a fun day ahead. Here's a photo of Toby ready to celebrate the day!


Hope you have a fun St Patrick's Day wherever you are:)


Carving possibly of St Patrick in the Cathedral at the Rock of Cashel

16 comments:

Lin said...

Oh I love your post today, Heather - those daffodils are just what I needed to see! I must remember how to make a shamrock - love your results!

Here it's sunny, but only 15 degrees......I can see the tops of our daffodils testing the air, but it's still way too cold for them to appear.......hugs to you, my friend!

Barb said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day, my Irish friend! I love your card - the shamrock is beautiful!

Love seeing your daffodils - we are still quite a ways away from seeing any flowers - suppose to snow tomorrow - yuk! Toby looks adorable too - such a sweet face! Hugs to you, Heather! ♥

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Happy St Patricks Day!

CinnamonSally said...

Great post Heather and Happy St Patrick's Day to you!!

Sarah G said...

Your post has really made me smile, Heather! Love the sunshine and daffodils and little Toby is a cutie :)

Laura Norris said...

Wonderful post Heather! I was wondering how you guys celebrate St. Patricks day over in Ireland. I always assumed that America overdid it as usual!! I am excited to see my daffodils too, they are just so cheery after a long winter. Hope you are doing well. Natalie got her big Lego set for Christmas and still loves it!!

Dawn T said...

Hope you had a lovely St Patrick's Day Heather. An adorable card. It would be prefect to enter into our challenge at Die Cut Divas Would love to have you join us

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

So glad you had a Happy St Patrick's Day, Heather! Just love your shamrock with the ancient motif! And doesn't Toby look a picture with his little hat! Lucky you to have those beautiful blooming daffodils - mine are still buried under a foot of snow!!

Fena said...

What a lovely card for the theme...absolutely fab!!

Barb Ghig said...

I really love this card! So festive and so beautifully executed! I hope you had a fun St. Patrick's Day!

Oh, thanks for the photos!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Stunning card, the embossed backdrop is so eye catching as is your shamrock. I love how you added the stamped pattern and then punched out the hearts. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Tracy x

Trinh said...

I loved your post, Heather! It's gray and drizzly today and your pictures brightened my day. The ancient motif is perfect for your clever shamrock.

Arlene said...

I never thought of using this image and I love what you've done.

So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas.

Anna-Karin said...

Beautiful card and what a clever use of that stamp! The green leaves look great on the white embossed background too. Thank you so much for joining us this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous St. Patty's Day card. Love the way you used the beautiful stamp and reshaped ot a clover. Happy St. Patty's day (Belated) to you!
Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Stamping With Bibiana said...

I was wondering how you did your hearts bckgd...thanks for sharing that photo on the "how to"...great stamps and great simple card I love it. and your puppy is so darling!!!
bibiana

Related Posts with Thumbnails