Sunday, October 19, 2014

Snowflake Christmas Ornament

Every year I seem to have a mad dash in the lead up to Christmas as I try to make a lot of Christmas cards to send to family and friends. So shortly after last Christmas when I was talking to my friend Linda we thought it would be a great idea to make two Christmas cards each month throughout the year to save the flurry of cardmaking before Christmas. Well Linda is all up to date (and maybe even a little ahead) in her cardmaking, but let's just say I'm not!

So I decided to pull out some supplies again this morning to make another Christmas card.

Snowflake Ornament

Dies (Simon Says Stamp) - Eliza Snowflake & Kate Snowflake
Stamp (Lawn Fawn) - Trim the Tree


Over at the Simon Says Stamp group on Flickr Barb has a fun challenge going on which is watercolouring. So I thought I'd make a watercolour background for a snowflake Christmas ornament. I used three watercolour paints (two blue & one white) to make the background. I think there are layers and layers of paint on the panel at this stage as I'd be just about happy with it when I'd add something and mess it up! Anyway when I had an okay background I decided to call a halt and just added a few more splashes of paint.

Next it was time to make the ornament. When Simon Says Stamp released a whole range of pretty snowflake dies last year I fell completely in love with them. For this card I die cut two different snowflakes and applied star dust stickles to them.

IMGP4469

After the snowflakes had dried, I layered them together using foam pads and added some string to suspend the ornament from the panel. The sentiment was embossed in silver and to finish off the card I added a sprinkling of gems.

I'm so happy to have my quota of Christmas cards made for this month, now I just have to catch up on the rest of the cards I was supposed to make throughout the year!

6 comments:

Lin said...

Perfection, Heather! Love that beautiful blue background, and of course, the sparkling snowflakes!

Cindy C. said...

Gorgeous !!!!!

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Heather,
Gorgeous Christmas card, the Blue palette is cool and clean and juxtaposes perfectly with your snowflake.
Smiles:)
Sue

Dawn T said...

Just gorgeous Heather. Very elegant.

Monika Reeck said...

with blue and silver also you did very great..I adore this too...love that blue background Heather...hugs, Monika

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Darling card, Heather - just love the blue watercolor bg with your glittery layered snowflake! Well, I may be ahead on quantity but you're definitely ahead in the quality department!! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails