Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hero Arts 90 Minute Scramble

A little while ago Tami was looking for volunteers to host some 90 Minute Scramble Challenges on the Hero Arts Flickr group. Virginia hosted the first one, Karen the second and now I’m having a go today. It started at 3.00pm GMT and will finish at 4.30 GMT (4.00pm-5.30pm here in Ireland) – see here if you’d like to join in. Barb is hosting the next one on the 6th of November – more details are here.

The challenges are great fun and you really have to work quickly to make, photograph and upload a card within the 90 minute deadline. It’s a lot easier to do when you’re setting the challenge though! I thought it might be fun to go for a using something unexpected challenge (adding something that wasn’t bought specifically for card making) and ended up using washing powder on my card! There are flecks of pink, blue and green in the powder so that’s how I came up with the colour combination.

90 minutes and a bit of washing powder
Stamps (Hero Arts) - Starry Night, Snowy House & Holiday Dolls.

To start with I stamped the Starry Night (thanks Sue I love this stamp so much!) image in pale blue for the background. Then I coloured the house with ProMarkers, popped the dormer part for dimension and added diamond stickles to the snow. I stuck washing powder on the ground with glossy accents and added some diamond stickles for more sparkle. Because I was sticking to the 90 minute allocation, my “snow” hadn’t fully dried before I took the photo but sure I suppose it makes it a bit more realistic! The card itself was embossed with the Cuttlebug Snowflakes folder. I don’t know how long it will last, but there is a lovely scent off the card because of the washing powder.

I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with for the challenge. Hope you are all having a great weekend!

Edited - I'm just adding a link to all the brilliant cards that everyone came up using unexpected items. As usual the ladies in the Hero Arts Flick group amazed me with their creativity! You can find all the fantastic ideas here.

12 comments:

Libby Hickson said...

Very pretty! And what a fun idea!

Lin said...

And it smells good too??? What a great card! This was so fun, Heather, your idea was great! It amazes me, the talent and creativity at our flickr group!! I had a blast, thanks so much for hosting!

Barb said...

Oh, Heather! I looked at your card so quickly when the challenge started, that I didn't even notice you had used the Starry Night image! I love the way it looks, so soft, behind the house! Fabulous idea to use the washing powder too! Gorgeous card and thanks so much for the challenge! It was such fun! :)

Rosemary said...

Super cute card, Heather! I love how you used the detergent for your snow.

Virginia L. said...

What a SUPER MARVELOUS job you did, Heather! We couldn't asked for better hostess for this challenge! LOVE the theme and how you keep us informed and posted and ENGAGED! Hope things are looking up for you! Sending you big hugs!

Dawn T said...

looks awesome Heather.... I would have loved to have joined in but not good at getting up at 4.00am in the morning to make a card!!!! Your clever idea really came off. love the card

Nat said...

love your design and the washing powder is an awesome idea. I love these challenges and the ideas everyone came up with!! Thank you for hosting today, it was tons of fun!!!

Anonymous said...

This is sooo cute! I love that snow!

Tiffany Ervin said...

Really gorgeous, just love the yummy pinks on the house!

Trinh said...

So brilliant of you to use the detergent for snow! Your scene is so pretty - I love all the sparkles! Thanks again for such a fun & creative challenge!

Suzanne C said...

Well this is just fabulous! Love it. Missed your 90 minute challenge but it looks like it was a lot of fun based on all the beautiful cards!

Deirdre said...

Heather - sorry I missed this... had US visitors staying for the weekend so twas hectic!

Hope you are back into the school routine and managing to get "stuff" done again. Hope you Mum is doing okay.

Related Posts with Thumbnails