Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Snowed in for Christmas

The current challenge at The Play Date Cafe is to use green, white and melon on a card.



I didn’t think I had anything in a melon colour in my stash but this morning I came across pp which I think fits the bill.

Snowed in for Christmas
Stamps (Hero Arts) - Snowy House & Holiday Dolls

I love my new Snowy House stamp so much and couldn’t wait to ink it up! Parts of the house are coloured with watercolour pencils and I paper pieced the rest (chimneys, roof, door, wreath and melon coloured part of dormer). I added diamond stickles to the snow on the house. The house itself is on pop dots as is the dormer window section. For the background I white embossed the snowflakes on white card and lightly applied some broken china distress ink.



I wanted to give some texture and depth to the snow on the ground so I layered some silk over a piece of wadding (batting) and machine stitched some meandering lines to form snowdrifts or what I hope look a bit like snowdrifts!



Because of all the sparkle (hard to catch in a photo!) with the stickles snow and silk, I'm also submitted the card into My Partner in Crafting Crime Challenge #13 (Shine on you Crazy Diamond).

21 comments:

Moccavanila by Vera Rhuhay said...

Heather...this is Gorgeous!!!I love the silk snow!

Kerry said...

What a beautiful stamp and love what you have done with it. stunning.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

Love the snow/fabric/stitching! I also love the details on the this house--so inviting! I want to go visit and hang out in the snow:) Thanks for joining in the fun and playing along with us at the PDCC:)

CinnamonSally said...

I love the way you often add fabric to your cards Heather and this is no exception, your snowdrift is stunning. Such a cute card.

Neet said...

Oh wow! Love that fabric and the stitching - very clever. A lovely card with a darling house on it.

Lisa Somerville said...

Very pretty, the stitched silk snow looks wonderful under your house. Thanks for playing at the PDCC.

GrammySue's Creations said...

Hi Heather, love you house card--it is too cute. I love how you got the silk fabric to look like snow. You are so creative and you did a great job.

Rosemary said...

what a sweet little house, heather and i love how you used the fabric to make the "snow"!

Andrea Ewen said...

So cute! Love the fabric and the wonderful coloring on your image! Thanks for playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe!

Barb said...

So glad you shared the close-up, Heather! Fun card! I always love when you work with fabric and your snowy house is colored beautifully!

Anonymous said...

This is so cute! I love how you created the snow! Such an awesome idea :)

Suzanne C said...

Fabulous snow! Love what you did with the stitched snow. Beautiful house and love the card. Beautiful.

donna mikasa said...

Such an adorable little scene--love how you stitched the "snow"!

Dawn T said...

What a great card Heather.... Your house and the snow are amazing

Deirdre said...

So fab Heather, just amazing.

Sarah Anderson said...

Well done you on finding the melon in your stash! Just love the stitching on silk/wadding on this card - so inventive :) Thanks so much for playing at the cafe with us :)

Nat said...

ohh, I love this design, awesome sewing for this wonderful Winter scene!!

walchowDesign said...

I'm amazed with the silk snow effect! It's really wonderful!

Trinh said...

I love, love, love what you do with fabric on your cards, Heather! That "snow" is gorgeous and is perfect for your house.

Robin said...

this is fantastic! The fabric and the sewing look great and give it wonderful texture! The little house is too cute! Thanks for playing with My Partner in Crafting Crime, Robin

Sandy Ang said...

How fantastic to get all those textures on your card - the embossed background, the glittery snowflakes and the stitched ground !

Related Posts with Thumbnails