Friday, June 18, 2010

A little bit of resist - Stormy Skies

This week on the Hero Arts blog, Jennifer McGuire has been showing lots of gorgeous cards and great ideas using resist techniques. So I thought I’d do some resist on this card.


Stormy Skies, originally uploaded by heather maria.



Stamps (Hero Arts) Silhouette Grass, Antique Engravings, Raindrop Background, Birthday Messages

I wanted to make a kind of stormy summer sky for the background so I embossed the grass in white on watercolour paper. Then I dabbed distress inks (shabby shutters, broken china and faded jeans) onto a piece of tinfoil and spritzed with water. I placed the embossed image in the ink, and hoped for the best as this was my first time trying this technique! The first attempt turned into a blobby mess so this is the second attempt.

A while ago I had dabbed alcohol inks and blending solution on glossy paper. When they didn’t blend and looked awful, I realised that I had used photo paper which wouldn’t work. I saved the paper anyway and stamped these dragonflies on it. For the card itself I embossed the Raindrop Background in white and applied faded jeans distress ink. I did a little bit of stitching on this card so I’m entering it into Jenny's Challenge #10 (In Stitches) as well as the Hero Arts June Challenge.

It's really dull and overcast here today so the photo isn't great but I think there's good weather in store for the weekend so I'm looking forward to that!

8 comments:

Sarah J Moerman said...

So pretty, Heather! The dragonflies are a great touch!

Lin said...

I ADORE this! Wonderful shades of blue, and isn't it great when you can use something that you thought was unuseable? Love the dragonflies - perfect accent to add!

Sue McRae said...

Beautiful background Heather, love the colours!

Rosemary said...

This is so pretty, Heather! Lovely soft colors!

Jill said...

I can't "resist" commenting on this beautiful card! :) Love the effect on the watercolor paper! And the polka dot background is great, too!

Monika Reeck said...

Oh my your embossing resist is so adorable....great touch of the dragonfly dear...love your raindrop bg too....hugs...

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful background and lovely resist!

Tiffany Ervin said...

Beautiful! Love the gorgeous blues! I'm still trying to find some time to play with this resist technique! Love your card!

Related Posts with Thumbnails